★★★★ 50 real customer reviews average rating: 3.6 stars
5 Stars By Scott Reichelt on 2016-02-15
I can attest that installing Ubuntu on this laptop was easy, and all hardware seems to work without issue
The main reason I purchased this laptop was its proposed compatibility with GNU/Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I can attest that installing Ubuntu on this laptop was easy, and all hardware seems to work without issue. I use this laptop while at school (in the computer science department) and it has been great. The battery life is commendable, and the size of the laptop is appropriate for that setting. The keyboard does not feel too cramped, and has that award winning lenovo feel (concave keys, nice spread, etc).
Their are a couple of options that I would have preferred on this machine, but for the price I can't really complain. The screen resolution is fine, but I would have preferred the optional 1080p screen. This model does not have a back lit keyboard (2016 L450's exist with this option, but are actually kind of hard to come by)
The Fn and Ctrl keys are inverted from what many non-Mac users are used to (Fn is the furthest left key on the bottom row). This can easily by swapped in the BIOS.
The battery is a bit awkward. The laptop does not sit flush, as the battery has a full length bulge in it. The battery is removable, I am sure an alternate battery from lenovo could be swapped out that sits flush.
The warranty on the laptop I received had already ~ 3 months of time ticked off of it, pretty annoying but that has more to do with the seller then the laptop.
2 Stars By JimboJones on 2016-04-17
Had alot of issues for a relatively pricey laptop........
As a disclaimer I did return this laptop and I will tell you why, in the form of a pros and cons list:
- OEM battery that it ships with protrudes beyond the bottom of the case half an inch at least !!!!! How weird and annoying as it sets your laptop on a tilt on the tabletop and it can be felt on your legs when on your lap.
- I don't feel that it was able to outperform my ACER Aspire that has first gen i5 chip and normal hard drive....... at least as far as surfing the web was concerned. Probably it would be better with RAM / DISK / CPU intensive applications........ but I was underwhelmed.
- Mysteriously told me 'unable to connect to internet/internet not available' even though it was actively connected to my wifi network.......... happened at least once a day and required you to run the network troubleshooter to resolve............ (google for this recurring issue)
- Touchpad offers a lot of tweaks via the OEM driver application but I felt like I spent a lot of time on it and still could not get the speed/tracking and sensitivity to be up to my expectations (compared to 4yr old Aspire). For some bizarre reason they allow you to click the whole pad in the lower left and right corners even though it has 2 excellent buttons top of the touchpad......... weird and probably didn't help with the touchpad issues.
- Boot time and shut down time amazingly fast due to SSD
- Battery life amazing; more than three hours of constant use including streaming videos
- Keyboard is outstanding in feel and quality
- Pretty lightweight but encased very solidly and would probably survive a drop off the couch
- Generates virtually no heat and you will never hear the fan!
- Good loud sound
5 Stars By bradco on 2016-04-13
Consistently Reliably Perforing Day in and Day Out
I bought this laptop to replace my old laptop (a Lenovo Idea Pad from 2008). I had asked my uncle about what specs to look for in a laptop and he had told me to look for at least an intel i5, 8gb of RAM, and a SSD if I could afford it. I did some looking on amazon using this criteria in the filters. Originally I had been looking at Windows 10 OS, however it wasn't until I took that preference off of the filter that I found this laptop. I didn't mind that this laptop had Windows 7 on it as I like 7 better anyway.
I have had this laptop now for about two months. It is SUPER quiet due to the SSD and does everything well. Boots up fast, opens web browser (Firefox) fast, plays GoPro videos smoothly, and just works really well in general, which is what I wanted; something I could turn on everyday and do what I need it to do. Battery is amazing, mostly because I run the laptop lid closed, broadcasting to my 40" TV (through the mini-display port using a mini-display to HDMI chord) which doesn't utilize the laptop's screen. I usually use it this way, unplugged and the battery is good (depending on what I am doing) for hours (roughly between 5-7).
There is no optical drive, however I got an LG DVD reader/writer for about $30 on amazon (it had great reviews/didn't seem cheap) and it works great, totally plug and play as you would expect.
So two months in, this laptop has been perfect. Not a complaint that I can think of.
1 Stars By Moose on 2017-04-25
Poor and slow
Consistent problems. Purchased this for a stronger, faster laptop. Consistently slow. Have been unable to resolve this issue. Machine has just a few applications on it. Bought lenovo hoping for a reliable machine. Received garbage. Will not purchase lenovo again.
3 Stars By Rylsngrd on 2016-03-29
Customer service is not quite as good as it seems
this laptop is simply ok for the money. it does the job. Customer service is not quite as good as it seems. I sent mine in for an errant beeping issue and they disabled my fingerprint scanner and sent it back. still beeps. so they took away a feature i liked and its still not right. i wrote them back and they have not responded. I doubt i would buy another lenovo.
5 Stars By Karent on 2016-04-23
Had everything I wanted in a new laptop (speedy SSD drive, plenty of storage and memory, comfortable keyboard - I'm a writer.) And all for five hundred bucks. This is definitely a machine built for work as opposed to entertainment. Great for school or home office. Delivery was prompt. Am running Windows 7 right now, plan to use the free upgrade to Windows 10 soon.
1 Stars By Stephanie on 2016-09-26
I absolutely hate this product
I absolutely hate this product. It's a bulky product and not intuitive at all. Every time I attempt to upload a fill it gets stuck. and won't complete the task. The product is very heavy. I wouldn't recommend it if you need to daily travel with a laptop. I am an Apple user but my daughters use Thinkpads in school so I figured I would get this to help with their homework. Biggest mistake ever. I will be going back to Apple.
1 Stars By Rebecca Ann Flynn on 2016-08-13
Don't waste your money on this!
This computer has been nothing but trouble. It makes me VERY sorry I threw away my money. Don't waste your money on one of these. It will NOT keep an internet connection. Thank heaven I am at work most days and don't have to be on it much. When I sit down to use it, right across from my husband who is connected to the internet with his laptop, this piece of garbage can't find a network to join. I wish I could return it!
5 Stars By Kevin C. on 2016-09-11
This is what I was looking for! It is fast and stable!
I strongly recommend this laptop if need a powerful tool to work, I am a programmer
and it supports everything I need.
I installed Elementary Freya and the only problem is that it doesn't support
the webcam hardware, but it still a great working with this SO.
1 Stars By fan-key Customer on 2016-06-24
Ordered a new thinkpad. Paid new price. Recived item and it windows would not open. Needed key. Called Lenovo to help and was told it was a used computer. Returned. Never could use product.